April 28, 2015

Hong Kong Phew, it's Part Two #6

From April, 2015

Wan Chai – a place of wealth, poverty, joy, pain, rehabilitation and disintegration – is a district like no other I've seen. Rich, foreign, seedy men preyed on women – some troubled, some in control – in order to satisfy their needs at a costly price. Think of it as a ‘straight-to-the-point’ Soho. People were keen to have unforgettable nights; some of whom were certain to end their night fulfilled, while others surely only regret their experience - what happens in Wan Chai stays in Wan Chai…

In contrary, seeing the large bronze statue of Tian Tan Buddha was truly exceptional. Despite the mist at the top, there was an impeccable view of the young 22-year-old symbol of peace and harmony on Lantau Island (and yes, I am talking about the statue, but thanks). I rode the cable car to and from Ngong Ping village and also saw the beautiful Po Lin Monastery. Although the view from these heights was impressive, the large amounts of construction down below did not particularly prepare me for a spiritual experience. The 268 step walk to the Big Buddha – as his mates call him – was well worth it and is thoroughly recommended to anyone visiting this glorious city.




I'm going to get a bit soppy now, so please skip this paragraph (or even stop reading completely) if you're one who hates parents who post every living second of their child’s existence on Facebook – who gives a tiny rat’s ass, right? I've never pulled that off…Well anyway, I do give one, that's right. I'll smile at the cute baby laughing, I'll sometimes ‘like’, but I'll never comment – I still have my reputation to think of. Having been worried about the prospect of my three-year-old cousin-niece shying away from my presence, I was comforted to hear she had asked if I had arrived yet. Along with her four-month-old brother, they were two of the most adorable children I had ever had the pleasure of staying with, and they will be sorely missed. Being brought up by two of the most thoughtful and caring people I am fortunate enough to be related to, they are truly lucky to have such loving people surrounding them.

Preparing for the flight back I used an airport lavatory and set my bags down beside me. This is the moment the toilet attendant decided to not bother checking for users before continuously mopping and flooding the floor. My bags and feet now drenched, I trudged through the overflowing cubicle and gave the despicable attendant a piece of my mind: ‘I'm all wet’, I said, sternly. He stared at me, blankly - almost pretending that he didn't understand me. I stared back - with conviction - and I'm pretty sure he’ll think before his actions next time.




I had four days of being fed like an awkward, vegetarian king by my very generous cousins; with traditional Dim Sum Sunday lunch at the famous Jumbo Floating Restaurant (also followed by a wonderful boat ride around HK Island), the tastiest risotto at an Italian restaurant overlooking the night skyline and constant treats throughout. So you can understand my frustration when I came back to Tokyo to a dish wish I had had countless times already in the country. Rodney keeps reassuring himself that the dish of meat-free ramen – noodles in hot water with eggs and vegetables – is as interesting as ever, but I feel quite different; longing for something as interesting and flavoursome as my past university meal of spaghetti and Quorn pieces. Rodney – a keen enthusiast of theme parks, cute children, animals and sordid venues – was at his wits end when he found out what he had missed when he had been slugging away, so I tried not to upset him anymore. So, it was ramen yesterday, just as it will be ramen today and yes, undoubtedly ramen tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment